Let me first give some history. For those who don't know I lost my mom when I was 8 years old, her name is Holly. When we first learned about our sweet little girl her due date was March 24...my mom's birthday. In hearing that we knew exactly what our baby girls name was going to be...Hollie. (yes, we did spell it differentlly). We have pictures of my mom up around our house and we talk about her often. Hollie knows that she has a grandma Holly in Heaven. She points to her picture and says, "mom, that's grandma Holly".
Well, yesterday, while Hollie was in the bath, she started asking questions.
Hollie- "where's grandma Holly mom?"
Me- "she is in Heaven".
Hollie- Why?
Me- "Well, it was her time to go to heaven
Hollie- Why?
Me- Heavenly Father needed her help
Hollie- What happened to grandma Holly?
Me- She was in a car accident
Hollie- How?
Me- Well, grandma Holly, papa and uncle KC where in a Jeep going up a hill and the jeep rolled down and grandma Holly got really bad owies.
Hollie- Why mommy?
Me (with tears in my eyes) I don't know Hollie, I wish I knew. All I do know is that Heavenly Father had a lots of work for mommy in Heaven and he really needed her.
Hollie- Heavenly Father needed her in heaven?
Me- Yes, he did. And we are so lucky that we have pictures of grandma Holly that we can remember her by. Gramdma was a wonderful lady who always had a smile on her face and was always happy. I miss grandma Holly.
Then our bath was over. Throughout the day I couldn't believe that the day had come when I would be having to explain to my 3 year old that her grandma Holly was in Heaven and not here on earth. To be honest I never really prepared myself for this, especially since she is 3. Having to answer, why, is really hard, because I still don't know why, all I know is that she was needed elsewhere. (selfishly I think she was and still is needed here). I know that my sweet Hollie was with her in Heaven and knew her then.
Now, to this morning as we were walking out the door to go to school,
Hollie says, "mom, grandma Holly died".
Me- yes, Hollie she did.
Hollie- why mommy?
And the dialogue was pretty similar to yesterdays. I have to admit that this is not easy for me, but I couldn't be more grateful that Hollie is so curious at such a young age and is very concerned for her grandma Holly who is not here with us. Wow, maybe I need to make a picture book for Hollie about her gandma and maybe she can carry it around and always remember her and how much grandma Holly loves her.
A Tender Moment
Posted by Kerri
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
thats so sad. :( i dint know that why you named her holly! but its great that hollie wants to know about her grandma.
It is so interesting how they understand so young. We have just started teaching the boys who Dereks dad is. Now Deren points to the picture and rubs his chin (for beard). Kylen points and says "Grandpa." It's so sad that these wonderful Grandparents can't be here. I know they would have enjoyed their grandchildren so much.
I think the idea of a picture book is a great one.
Kerri, I got to know your Mom briefly and came to love her dearly. I actually have a picture of her w/Uncle Rob when they were young, Your Mom must be about 10 yrs. old. It's just a snap shot but I'd like to get it to you. It would be something you could put in the picture book you're talking about. Let's talk soon. My # is 513-646-2425 - cell. Love you, Patty
Post a Comment