Scripture Jar


As I was preparing journal jars for the activity day girls I came across the idea of scripture jars. Scripture jars are the BEST idea ever!! Once I read about it, I couldn't help but get what I needed to make one and it was so easy.
For those that don't know what a journal jar is; they are jars (mason jars) filled with slips of paper that have questions written on them. Everyday you pull out one question and in your journal you write the question and answer. The questions can be as simple as you want or as detailed as you would like. This is just a great idea to help you write in your journal. Well, the scripture jar follows the same guidelines except you don't write anything in your journal. The scripture jar is great for those that have young kids. I know that, for us, pulling out the scriptures and reading them is not easy with 2 little kids. So, when I heard about the scripture jar, I couldn't resist.
The jar, instead of being filled with questions, is filled with scripture references (scripture mastery), quotes, 13 Articles of Faith and stories from the "Gospel Art Picture Kit". I bought a gallon glass jar from Walmart, decorated it with scrapbook paper and the voila...our Family Scripture Jar!
The first night we started was Monday night. Hollie picked out a slip of paper and there was a scripture reference on it, "Book of Mormon, Moroni 10:4-5" (we also read verse 3). And this is what it read;


Moro. 10: 3-5

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.



When we read this scripture Ryan and I just looked at eachother and knew that this is what we should be doing as a family. What are the odds that in a jar filled with MANY slips of paper, that this is the one that is pulled out first.


I have always known that reading the scriptures as a family was something that we should do, but trying to do it with 2 young kids was not an easy task. The Scipture Jar has made it easy, simple and fun! Even though not all the slips of paper have a scripture on them, they are all about our Savior and what He has done for us and the teachings throughout the scriptures.

I can't believe how excited Hollie is to read from the scriptures. The other night we read a quote and she was upset it wasn't from the scriptures, so we pulled out the scriptures and read the first verse in Nephi. I love seeing her show a love for the scriptures at 3 years old.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love this idea Kerri!